November 10, 2006

Friday

Unfortunately, today I listened to music. I couldn’t stop myself from listening. I thought I could go the whole week without listening to it, but that was harder than I thought. Once someone is addicted to something to it extremely hard to resist the temptation. It starts as a craving then eventually feels like a necessity. Now I know how people feel when they try to stop smoking or drinking. A person needs motivation to stop their addiction.

In order for someone to get over an addiction they need motivation. My mom smoked before she had me. When my mother was pregnant with me she stopped smoking entirely. She was and still is a Registered Nurse so she knew what could happen to me if she smoked. After I was born, she resumed smoking. When my mother was pregnant with my little sister she stopped smoking again because of the possible affect it would have on my sister. My mom needed some type of motivation to stop smoking. Whenever she smoked around me I coughed, and she didn’t want me to keep going through that so she stopped.

Next week, I am going to try and go the whole week without listening to any music. This time I know what I can do differently. I am going to give my radio, my alarm clock, and my ipod to my parents. I am going to tell them that no matter how much I beg don’t give any of it back until the entire week has passed. I am going to prove to myself that I can abstain from listening to music for at least one week.

No comments: